How will I know when I’m ready to have sex?
The most important thing is that it feels the right time for you. If you want to have sex because you are feeling pressured, are feeling lonely or because you think everyone else is doing it, you may not be ready.
On the other hand, if you are wanting to have sex because you are in a committed relationship and are feeling comfortable, there are a few more things to consider. You may want to think about:
- Whether you and you partner have talked about how far you are willing to go
- Protection from sexually transmitted infections (condoms)
- What happens if either of you change your mind at any time
- How you will feel afterwards
- How you will feel about your partner afterwards
- Whether you’re ready or not to have a baby (if you’re thinking about having sex with someone of the opposite sex). If you are not ready to have a baby, then you need to use contraception. Go to Types of Contraception, to see which options best suit you.
- What your culture or religion thinks about having sex at this time in your life. Is this important to how you feel?
Remember, it is OK to say NO if you are not ready to have sex. Click here for more information on ‘How to Say No’.